The surgery is named after Dr Daniel Stenhouse, who was the first doctor in our practice.
Dr Stenhouse was born in Auchterarder, Scotland, in 1848 and graduated from Edinburgh University in 1876. He married Mary Worrall of Arnold and was a Medical Missionary in Chu Chia Province in China until 1886, working for the New Connection Methodist Church.
In 1886 he became a general practitioner in Arnold and practised from Ebenezer House, which was the old farmhouse at the bottom of Worrall Avenue, until 1897. He then moved to live and practise from Arnold House, Church Street until his death in 1916.
There was a succession of single-handed general practitioners until Drs Graham, Jacobs and Lobb formed a partnership as the practice expanded in the 1950s. The practice remained at Arnold House until 1970 when it moved into the Arnold Health Centre. The practice then moved into Stenhouse Medical Centre in April 1991 on the site of what was called “The Flying Horse Yard”.
The practice now has six partners and looks after 12,000 patients. The happy family atmosphere at the practice remains an important part of our philosophy.